Sunday, November 28, 2010

Who could ever stop us?

This morning at church we sang a song which includes these lines: "And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us? And if our God is with us, then what could stand against?"


I so often think and feel like I've been defeated. I'm not talking about things like fantasy football, even though I have clearly been defeated in my league this year. I'm talking about life. Frequently, I come up against struggles and situations that seem bleak and full of darkness. I feel as though God wants me to experience defeat during these times. I sometimes feel as though my efforts, which are (sometimes) full of pure, selfless motivations, are met with hate and destruction. After years of trying to make a difference, I see nothing but darkness and rejection. I can reason away all the outcomes, I know my perspective isn't what it should be or I can say this is just life in a world full of sin. Perhaps during these times God is trying to teach me a lesson by allowing me to be defeated.


I don't want to reason it all away though. This world is also full of God's spirit and grace. His love resides with us on earth. And if I believe that God is for me, which I do, then why don't I live like that? Why do I have fear that sin and hate has or is taking over? Sin is powerful and the king of evil is also powerful, but he is no match for my God. Can you imagine a life where we fear nothing? Can you imagine taking on a whole community full of sin with a smile? To me this is like hearing about the darkness that consumes a neighborhood and with a smirk, looking at Jesus standing next to me and saying, "We got this JC. Piece of cake." 


What could stand against us if God is on our side? I tend to think of armies and battles when I think about God "being on my side." I imagine them to be big powerful armies sweeping the land without fear or hesitation. Then I remember the armies of the Old Testament some consisted of just a few men or maybe one man; numbers don't matter. What matters is the confidence and knowledge (not feelings) that my God is with me, He is for me, and nothing can stop Him. If I approached each challenge knowing I have God who has already gone ahead of me to fight the opponent then came back to meet me and ride on next to me, ready to defeat any unfortunate demon we came into contact with, I'd handle things so much better.


I want to live like this and I don't think it's that hard. I have plenty of reasons to believe God is for me. I have plenty of scripture to tell me He's on my side. I have only one reason to keep me from living this way and that is sin. Since Jesus already took care of my sin, there shouldn't be a problem. It's easy to get caught up in the details like, "I'm human," "We live in an imperfect world." I can't use those as excuses though. God has asked me to trust Him. He's given me examples, confirmations, and knowledge to live this way. So what am I waiting for? Who could ever stop me? What can stand against me?

No comments: