I'm sure most Americans are tired of hearing about Prince William and his engagement. As I sat there looking at the TV screen this morning and the newscaster's voice drifted into oblivion I began to wonder. Did Kate Middelton, little girl from Berkshire England, know she'd grow up to be Queen of England? Was this a dream of hers? Do little girls in England dream of one day being Queen? I imagine Miss Middleton did not think she'd grow up to be Queen of England, married to one of the most famous, modern-day royals.
I always played a teacher when I was a little girl, although I don't think I ever expected I'd actually do it. Of course you look at little kids as they walk down the sidewalk or wave from the grocery cart and think they'll grow up to be a contributing member of society. Do you ever look at a 4 year old and think, "that kid is going to grow up and be a thief and drug addict,"? No. We might look at a bratty kid and think they're going to be an unpleasant adult, but a drug addict or even murderer? Sadly, teachers joke about these kinds of things but in reality we think that's all it is, a joke.
I digress on my point. I wonder how many adults look back in their childhood and think, "I never thought I'd be where I am." Parents always have dreams and aspirations for their children and sometimes children supersede those dreams and sometimes they don't get even close. If you're a parent, I don't think it's bad to have dreams for your children but don't forget they have their own dreams.
When you look back on your childhood dreams I hope that your current reality exceeds those dreams. While we can't control everything in our futures we certainly have a strong influence. Did you ever think you'd be where you are now?
2 comments:
I often think about this, did I think I'd be where I am now. I have to say that I am very blessed and I am happy with where I am, but I really have uneasiness about how I'm not making any viable contribution to the business world. I know that what I do is important, but I still feel that I was meant for something else. Know what I mean? It's very conflicting.
Have you ever heard the song "Who Would Imagine a King?" It's one of my favorite songs about this very idea--what we imagine our children will be. It's specifically about Mary looking at Jesus and imagining who he will be, but the same concept applies.
Anyway, I love this idea! I also played teacher, but I definitely think my life has exceeded what I could imagine. That's the thing about imagination--ours is limited to our experiences but God's imagination is endless!
Post a Comment