Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Mirror, Mirror on the wall....pt. 1

Our life group (aka bible study group) is going through a couples devotional book, Moments with You. I have to admit some of it is a bit cheesy and includes your classical "churchese" topics but I will say it has held the couples in our group accountable to spend time with their spouse discussing, reading and praying about what God has in store for their lives and marriage, DAILY.

One topic that was recently discussed in the book is speaking the truth to friends, or holding a mirror to them. This one has really stuck with me as I've been convicted the more I grow in my faith we are to hold each other accountable for our thoughts and actions as Christians. I don't mean passing judgement as I feel judgement is followed by a consequence and condemnation. Being truthful to your friends requires love, patience, and gentleness, but it also requires a certain strength. The motivations of speaking the truth is to bring about transformation so the other is brought closer to God. Although after I write those last few sentences I wonder, "are we too afraid of judgement to allow ourselves to judge each other (within the church)?" Yes God is the ultimate judge, but aren't we the children of God, the heirs to his throne? Should we not be keeping each other in line so as not to bring ruin to the family, especially (and only if) those standards are clearly biblical? This is a place I need to explore more scripture on.

I've always been afraid to speak the truth to others for fear of rejection and offending them. However, as I've grown in my knowledge of who God is, who he wants his children to be, and the revolution he wants to see started by his kingdom I've learned a few things. God wants us to care about each other and help each other grow, offense is the bait of Satan, defensiveness is immature, love knows no bounds, grace is sufficient, change is good, being uncomfortable is great, relying on God to work through us is even better.

I haven't always been good at listening and acting upon the truth others have brought to light in my life. I feel like I'm getting better and hope that my friends and family present the truth to me in areas where I might need to work on. I always hope their motives are to bring me closer to God and not just to point out the annoyances so I work to do the same for others. I certainly have learned becoming defensive or angry about what they say makes me a worse person and if I'm confident I'm following scripture what is there to defend?

Where are you in your journey to speak the truth to yourself and to others? What about others speaking the truth to you?

More to come tomorrow.....

No comments: