Friday, July 8, 2011

Follow up to Confidence

After reading through my last post I realized I didn't include one important point and I'd like to blame it on a certain toddler needing me while I wrote it.

One of the biggest confidence boosts I gain as a follower of Christ is knowing his opinion is the only one that matters. He made me, he loves me, and he wants me to be confident in how he works through me.

Cliche, maybe. I can go on and quote scripture of reasons we should be confident in Christ and of ourselves as followers but it's always easier said than done. We tend to make it too complicated. It becomes a choice we make. Are we going to allow others tell us what value we have or we going to allow Christ through scripture and through our own experiences tell us what value we have? I for one don't want others to control how I feel about myself. I know I'm not perfect, but who is? I don't really care what the models look like on magazine covers because I know it's not reality, and anyone who strives for that is chasing foolishness. Sure I like some of the clothes that are hanging in the storefronts, perhaps that's more discontentment than low self-esteem. But I will not walk around feeling sorry for myself, knowing God has created me to a beautiful (in his eyes) being who will do great things for him.

So I suppose this turns my question from 'what makes you confident?' to what are you striving for in life? Maybe we have lost our confidence because we have lost sight of the true goal.

I urge you yet again, figure out what your true goal is in life and reinvent your confidence to get there.

No comments: