Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hypocrisy pt 2

Most outsiders think that Christians are hypocritical and for good reason. I often struggle with this label though. People want or expect Christians to be real, authentic and genuine, and I agree we should be. So there are times in life where I say one thing and then do another for whatever reason. This makes me a hypocrite. I've done it, I still do it, and I know I will probably do it again. To be real I'm admitting I'm a hypocrite, so does that make me less of a Christian?

I understand these expectations come from the high standards that Christians are to live up to and the standards they so often, harshly and unfairly, push on others. If Christians expect outsiders to live up to the standards of Christ this is unfair. Even Paul says in 1 Cor. 5:12, "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church?...God will judge those outside."

How do I reconcile being real to those outsiders watching me while still living up to the standards Christ has set up for us and as society expects us? I don't want to seem lazy in my pursuit of righteousness. I don't want to excuse my episodes of hypocrisy. I want those watching to know I don't claim perfection, I claim perseverance. I keep working towards the end result, to live up to what Christ has modeled for me. I know this is the best path.

No comments: