(I know I have a post to do about hypocrisy but I'm on vacation and I have other, more relevant, topics to write about.)
I did an internship at my church, working with the involvement pastor. One of his responsibilities and creations was a spiritual gifts class. Since I was his apprentice I was charged with becoming familiar with it and learning more about spiritual gifts and how God has designed His creation. Upon researching and studying I found a list created by someone on the ways people are drawn to worship. There were several different ways which were identified that people draw near to God. A few examples are: through music, through art, through intellect, through nature, through care giving. This is similar to those personality tests.
Anyway, to my point, I LOVE to worship God through nature; I'm a naturalist as the list names it. When I'm outside in nature, I see the wonders God has created. When I look at the ocean in its vastness I am in awe and realize, as much is possible, how big God really is. When I look up at the stars or into a telescope I see the artist in God. The tops of mountains are a display of His strength. To see cells in a microscope or watch animals live with what seems like hardly a thought, I see His perfection. I can watch streams flow peacefully and I know my God is a God of peace. I hear birds calling, elk bugling, and trees blowing and I can hear the voice of God. When I am in nature I am in the presence of God.
Sunday, yesterday, on our drive up to the cabin we drove through a canyon that was full of green plants and grey rocks. It was so intricately laid out as if each rock was placed by hand with much thought put into it. Being the monsoon season we climbed the winding mountain road in a thick white cloud and light rain. It was so beautiful and at the same time, a little frightening.
To the right was a sheer cliff and we could see nothing on that side. The fog had worked its way in between each blade of each leaf on the plants. It curled itself around the fingers of the jagged rocks. It filled the canyon with moist air. There was such a quietness about it, which is inexplicable. It was ominous yet peaceful. It was breathtaking and cold, powerful yet gentle. To me this cloud that surrounded every free inch of space in the canyon was like the presence of God.
The cloud seemed to swallow up the canyon below us, the ground around us, and the sky above us. When I think of the presence of God this is it. God swallows me up with His power and gentleness. He can fill me up, wrap His arms around me, and create a quietness in my soul that is unmatched. I can do nothing but stand in awe of Him. I regret not getting a picture of it, however I revel in the idea that no picture can capture the true beauty of what we saw and that it was a time for me to be in the presence of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment