My instincts say 'no'. I realize I'm usually harder on myself about personality issues and perhaps it makes me work that much more to become a better person. I don't often have people approach me about my spiritual journey. On the other hand it's not easy for me to initiate conversations about my spiritual journey or another's journey. This kind of delves into a separate issue for me, just being outgoing and approachable, but I digress.
Glen, and a book I'm reading UnChristian, both talked about what outsiders think of Christians. They think God is distant and not personal; God is not relevant. I began to wonder after hearing this, "If someone asked me those questions what would I say?" My answer...."I have no idea how to respond." I suppose I could come up with something and I would depend on the Holy Spirit to be a part of the situation. Unfortunately, I'd have to take some time to think it through. And so I will.
2 comments:
Oh boy. I have tossed around similar thoughts throughout the summer, as I have seen short-term trips come and go. It's interesting to see the teams transformed while they are here, very intentional about speaking about the love of Jesus, very moldable and open to His ways. But they are here for a crusade, of sorts. Every moment of their day is focused to serving and demonstrating the love of Christ.
So it has forced me to question and reevaluate the day to day, the non-crusade days, because we are not here for a short-term, but a bit longer. So do our day to day interactions reflect the same intentional Jesus movement as a short-term crusade? Why not? Just thoughts that have challenged me.
It certainly seems easier in those situations because there's a sense that you won't be seeing those people again, at least any time soon. It's like the short-timers syndrome...
Post a Comment