
Mark 4:3-8
"Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain. Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, multiplying thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times."
I'm reading a book called Organic Church. It has challenged my soul which has surprised me a bit, not that I can't be challenged but I thought I'd have no questions about the content of this book. I tend to think I'm more of a "liberal; postmodern" type of believer when it comes to doing church. Organic would be a good descriptor, as I often find myself longing for the simple (i.e. no politics of the modern day churches, no excuses, or stereotypes) days of when Jesus and the apostles began these small home churches. I've only finished 5 chapters in this book of 14 and yet I find myself with questions, needing to discuss them with other believers.
A very, very brief picture of where my heart is on the issue of outreach: I've always thought that our generation has a huge task at hand when it comes to starting a revolution for Jesus, but I've also thought we have what it takes. Either we can sit by and be comfortable in our walk with Jesus, growing and pruning ourselves, eventually becoming stagnant or we can get out there and serve others, meet others where they are in life, therefore flourishing. Aside from cultural differences and our modern-day society (which I think we often use as excuses) Jesus, Paul, and the apostles were always on the move. If not from city to city than from one synagogue to the other. They went to where the people were, they didn't set up camp in one location and advertise for people to come to them. We have clearly grown comfortable and apathetic. Sure we need to be there for support and encouragement of our fellow believers but didn't Jesus say "it's not the healthy who need a doctor but the sick?" And looking at the great commission Jesus also said, "GO," I don't remember him saying "Stay". I'm not being exclusive of today's churches and how they do things....at least not all of them. I could ramble on and on but I think I've made my point.
Ok so in one particular chapter the author refers to the parable of the different soils. What I found interesting at first is that Jesus described 4 different types of soils and yet only one was fruitful. It seems to be an accurate indication of the percentage of people who will actually be fruitful; we complain about 20% of the people doing 80% of the work but Jesus knew. Another thing I've never thought of before and I'm not sure I've heard anyone teach on it, a farmer in this situation would take time to tend to the 'good soil', they wouldn't continually throw seeds onto the the other three soils hoping that at some point a plant would sprout up and flourish.
Ok so in one particular chapter the author refers to the parable of the different soils. What I found interesting at first is that Jesus described 4 different types of soils and yet only one was fruitful. It seems to be an accurate indication of the percentage of people who will actually be fruitful; we complain about 20% of the people doing 80% of the work but Jesus knew. Another thing I've never thought of before and I'm not sure I've heard anyone teach on it, a farmer in this situation would take time to tend to the 'good soil', they wouldn't continually throw seeds onto the the other three soils hoping that at some point a plant would sprout up and flourish.
To focus more on the people that are represented by the soil I started with the very first one Jesus mentions, the "hard, unreceptive path". I think about the Pharaoh in Exodus not letting the Israelites go. He was famous for his hard heart. I often struggle with this because it says in Exodus God hardened Pharaoh's heart, would God sacrifice a soul to hell in order to save others? Clearly, this was seen in Jesus but Jesus overcame it all, do these people with hardened hearts not get a chance or does God know they will never be receptive to Him? I know this gets into predestination, although I think this specific action can exist in conjunction with free will.
Secondly, I've stumbled upon some scripture I've read before but not comprehended in this way. In Acts there were many times where Paul and the other disciples "shook the dust from their feet" and moved on from cities because the people there were simply unreceptive to the message they offered. They were the first type of soil, the hardened path. In this specific chapter the author makes a very compelling argument (seemingly aligned with scripture) that our responsibility is to share the good news not to accommodate and babysit those who reject it. Even in Mark 10:17-31 Jesus is approached by a rich man who wanted to enter the kingdom of God. Upon asking Jesus this and getting the truth from Jesus about selling his wealth, the man walked away sad. Jesus was straight with this man about how to have eternal life and the rich man didn't like the answer. Jesus turned to his followers and continued to talk to them he didn't run after this guy trying to "convince" him of selling his wealth. Jesus also didn't make accommodations for this man to keep him in his circle of followers so that at some point, maybe, he'd come around. Although, please note in verse 21 it states "Jesus looked at him and loved him."
I have several questions about all this and then I'll have to continue a different blog tomorrow on the remainder of this chapter.
How long do we work with those who are seemingly unreceptive to the gospel before we "shake the dust from our feet" and walk away?
Isn't that giving up?
How is this 'loving' as Jesus 'loved' the rich man?
Are we enabling people when we work so hard to keep them at our church or in our lives trying so hard to convince them of the gospel even when they constantly reject it?
I'm praying and seeking the answers which is what I love to do with God when I read these kinds of things. This is very much a rambling of my thoughts so it's likely unorganized and confusing but it's real.
5 comments:
I enjoyed reading the first part of this blog about Jesus telling us to "Go." What does it matter if I sit in church every Sunday but never reach outside of that circle to serve those in need? My dad spoke one Sunday morning about this very subject, about the church becoming all about itself and the churchgoers. Many people were offended by the message that church isn't about "us", the believers. It's not about what class WE can take, what book we can read next, or what fun activities WE can do together. Church is a place where we can gather to renew our spirit and then GO! We don't need to sit around reading more books about how we can be better Christians. Jesus already told us how to do that, and it's by loving and serving those in need. It's about loving people to Jesus, and we can't do that just by sitting in a church pew.
Thanks for sharing Allyse! It's funny you bring up the story about your dad and the response, in the first part of this book the author says, "Jesus did not rise from the dead so that we can have better church bulletins and more comfortable pews."
You make some excellent observations and ask some very tough questions.
Oh sister how I do love your heart! Your questions are outstanding and so necessary in this day and age. Loving your journey!
I find it hard to determine when we should shake the dust from our feet but my inclination is to say that it must be spirit led. I would hate to leave someone because they seemed unreceptive unless I truly felt called to leave them. I think it's mostly about hearing the Shepherd's voice.
The other piece I've been thinking about is the idea that we aren't asked to plant, water and reap the seed, sometimes we are just asked to serve one role. So if we do shake off the dust at the wrong time, God may have a way of getting to someone's heart through another means. That takes the pressure off of knowing when to stay and when to walk away. God will accomplish His purposes with or without us, it is just a matter of how much of His plan we get to enjoy being a part of.
Just my thoughts on the subject, but I'm looking forward to hearing more of yours as you explore and walk this journey with God!
Post a Comment