Tuesday, March 23, 2010

You eat what you reap (part 2)

Ahhhh, I don't even know where to begin. I have so many thoughts left over from yesterday. I'm getting passionate too, so watch out!

The first soil is an example of outright rejection of Jesus. I have certainly encountered many of these people in my life time, especially during times of service. During a trip in Toronto we partnered with a group that takes sack lunches to the homeless around the city, often encountering the same people, thus building relationships and having conversations about Jesus. We helped make all the sack lunches, packed our backpacks full of them and started walking. We went in groups of about 4 and did it in the evening. I can't tell you how many times people absolutely refused the lunch and one guy even took it from us and then immediately proceeded to throw it across the street so as to let us know what he thought of it. Arguments can be made to say this has no relation to the first type of soil that is discussed but in reality these people had been so hurt not only did they not want to hear about Jesus but they didn't even want to talk to other humans. I have close friends and family members who have heard this message their whole life and still reject it, how long do I continue to attempt conversations, and efforts in sharing the message? You don't want to give up on people who are down and out and you certainly don't want to stop showing them Christ-like behavior. What about those people who will engage in conversation but have no one to talk with because we're all out trying to engage someone who doesn't want to be saved? Where should our efforts be focused?

The second soil is rocky and SHALLOW, plants grow but they soon wither up. I'm reminded of several teenagers at conferences in high school. The worship band would do an "altar call" and hundreds of teenagers would accept Christ through tears. The moment they were back at home it was life as usual. Is it the responsibility of the youth pastor or the person's friends to make sure they don't fall through the cracks and are nurtured in this new commitment? Or is it the teenager's responsibility to ask questions, to come to church more regularly to hear teaching? Most of the conferences would last at least 3 days if not a week and these teenagers are inundated with how to make a lifestyle change and yet they don't when push comes to shove. Again, what is the part of the friends who brought this person to the conference or to the youth leaders who prayed with them as they decided to live a different life?

The third soil is almost better than the first two or maybe it's worse. Plants grow but in time they are overshadowed by thorns. My original thought was that these thorns killed the plant and maybe eventually they would but the parable says, "they didn't bear grain" which seems to imply the plant was alive but it couldn't grow any fruit. So perhaps this refers to those Christians who are comfy in the pew and see no need to "GO" as Jesus commanded. The author states it this way, "They are Christians, but their true commitment is to a life of comfort more than a life of service." This is the one that gets me the most when it comes to other Christians and I certainly fall into a very judgemental state. I know I'm not perfect in this either but I know I don't have to be perfect to be out there doing what Jesus was doing. I understand people are gifted differently but those gifts are to be used in service not sitting in the pews. Sure we need teachers to train us and guide us, that is one thing I respect about the leaders in my church. However, I don't think any teacher who is in line with God would want you to just sit there forever listening, they want you to go out and use what you've learned. I have to say honestly and openly, I do not understand the thought that we need to work on ourselves first BEFORE we serve others. At what point will you be ready, then? Yes, if we are having some serious issues emotionally or physically we need to repair ourselves. Yes, there are times where we need to refuel in order to be able to offer much to others. It would seem the timeline for these repairs should be short, and who's to say God won't use your willingness to serve others as a way to grow/heal/mature. It's dangerous though when we think we need to mature spiritually before we can allow GOD to reach others through us. God doesn't need us to be perfect, he just needs us to SHOW UP!!!

I think that's enough for today, more tomorrow on the fourth type of soil Jesus mentions in this parable. Please, share your thoughts or experiences.

1 comment:

Bill Fisher said...

Totally enjoying your thoughts and how you are wrestling with this passage!

I agree with your last point here that we can work on ourselves forever and we will never be "perfect" or "ready" enough to "Go". I think the church often keeps people from "go"ing because they are dealing with something and this in my opinion is a mistake. One of the best ways to heal is to serve. The error would be to immerse ourselves in serving such that we avoid dealing with ourselves. There is a balancing act here. I also think that people are preventing themselves from doing what we could measure as "great" things for God because they have not properly dealt with themselves - especially our hurts.

God calls us to deal with our hurts and accept the freedom that Jesus gave to us. God also calls us to "Go" and make disciples. The Bible doesn't say do one before the other. It demands that we do both - and thus we all must learn to balance lifes demands!