The fourth soil discussed in Jesus' parable of the sower is the fertile soil that provides nutrients for a fruitful plant. This is an image of the person who hears about Jesus, accepts his teachings as truth and decides to change their lifestyle to follow these teachings. The fruit becoming the evidence that this person has changed their lifestyle, another topic of which I've had on my mind lately, but I digress.
The author of Organic Church says these are the people we should be spending our time on. Having conversations with them, helping them research the questions they have and being a good example to. This brings me back to my blog from yesterday where I ranted about the church existing for itself. Again, I do believe we need teachers to guide us and train us but at some point we all need to move on in order to grow. The teachers need to have new students and the students need to graduate and get out there by themselves. The fellowship of believers (nice church term) is necessary but I'm not sure it's primary in our spiritual growth. Yes, Jesus had his disciples of whom were his confidants, his prayer warriors, his students. But Jesus' mission was to tell people about God to those who did not know it, his disciples already knew it. And they were commissioned to "GO" just as he went.
On a different note, I struggle with the amount of work it takes to "GO". I feel like I've done a lot since my Jr. high years, short-term mission trips, local outreach service, peppered with a year of formal Christian education and an internship at my church. As the years go by I feel I have been worn down. My passion is still there, obviously, but my energy level is less than what it used to be. Working in a local neighborhood these past two years trying to help them become empowered so they are not dependent on relief efforts has been a journey to say the least. We have made many mistakes, had many setbacks, even had some wonderful things happen that were definitely spirit-led. But I am worn down. I've come to the point many times recently where I've wanted to quit. I suppose I could chalk it up to my impatient personality, I want to see some results, and I don't see them, at least not yet. This author shares his journey to working with drug dealers, gang members, and alcoholics. He has great stories and clearly God is blessing his efforts, but man, the amount of TIME and ENERGY it takes.
I realize I'm making lots of excuses, this is one reason this book has challenged me so. I've often felt in our time of working in this neighborhood, we'd be so much more effective if we lived there. A task that is not impossible, although some would see it as kind of a crazy move, but people saw Jesus as crazy right? This man, the author, helps start new house churches all over. He has close friends that help him but he is constantly seeking God. Ahhhh my heart is torn. I want to be actively seeking out God in these situations but it's hard when you've let yourself create excuses, even when those excuses are your family.
I'm at the end of my rambling....for now. I hope my questions stir another soul to seek answers at the feet of God. I challenge anyone (including myself) to get rid of the excuses and GO! If you think you aren't "called" to outreach then reread Matthew 28:17-20. Yes your job can be a place of outreach but while you are there are you actively seeking out opportunities, allowing God to direct your day or are you living your day and giving God a few moments here and there? Although, this makes me wonder about my questions of how much time do we spend trying to tend to those who are resistant? If you've been thinking of getting involved in outreach just find something and try it, you'll eventually find something that better suits your gifts and personality, but you have to start somewhere.
Here are my questions from the original blog and a few more, I can't say I have any answers as of yet but I'll be sure to share if I do and I hope anyone reading would share if they have any insight or other questions for that matter.
-How long do we work with those who are seemingly unreceptive to the gospel before we "shake the dust from our feet" and walk away?
-Isn't that giving up?
-How is this 'loving' as Jesus 'loved' the rich man?
-Are we enabling people when we work so hard to keep them at our church or in our lives trying so hard to convince them of the gospel even when they constantly reject it?
-How do we actively seek God-opportunities and "GO" when we have a responsibility to our family?
- Is it ok to stop for a while, to take a break?
2 comments:
Cara, I agree with much of what you're saying, but I disagree with the idea that the "fellowship of believers" is not primary to our spiritual growth. I think a perfect example of how it is primary to our spiritual growth is the book of Acts. The church grew strength in their discipleship and their ministry through the fellowship, through living with one another, pooling their resources and lifting one another up in encouragement in prayer. I think the only way we can effectively make disciples is if we ourselves are discipled, encouraged and cared for.
This also feeds in to my answer to your last question, because I haven't got great answers yet for your first ones...I think it is okay to break for a while. I think God designed the Sabbath, and when you look at the old testament the laws about every 7 years resting the land and themselves, to care for the discipler. I think God designed those to rejuvenate our hearts and spirits so that we, like the land, might be made more effective again. And I think being amongst people who do give you a place to be and rest provides that opportunity--hence the "fellowship of believers".
But these are just my two cents, take them or leave them for what they're worth :-)
Thanks for sharing Katie. I think I still believe that our fellowship is not primary, but like I said in the post, necessary. I agree with you on the fact that we do need it and not only does it help us as we minister but it is a great example of relationships to nonbelievers. I know in Acts the disciples grew in strength but I still don't think this was their primary focus. I think they still spent most of their time and efforts on reaching out. In Acts 2:47 where they talk about the fellowship of believers it says, "And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." I take this to mean they were still reaching out to nonbelievers. And in most parts where it says they grew in strength it also says they grew in numbers.
I don't say this to try to convince you, obviously you have come to your own conclusions. To play devil's advocate here and another question I've been toying with: If our fellowship is primary then how long do you stay in this fellowship of believers until you start reaching out? And what of those who never reach out?
Thanks again Katie, I appreciate your discussion and insights.
Post a Comment