Thursday, March 4, 2010

Writer's blocks


I like to think of them not so much as blocks but stepping stones. I'm three lessons into my writing program and the excitement and anxiety builds with each lesson. I've had to already research information on different publications that I might publish an article in. WHAT??? I'm not ready to publish an article in a widely read publication. Even our local newspaper seems above me as a novice writer. Not to mention magazines such as Better Homes and Gardens. In my second lesson I was asked to jot down some ideas I'd like to write about and then start research on it. I was tempted to pick a poem, it seemed the easy way out. However, I decided I should just jump into it, so I said I'd start working on an article. WHAT??? I don't know the first thing about interviewing people.

I started thinking maybe I had bitten off more than I could chew with this program. In the first two lessons I'm encouraged to look at getting published. Maybe I'm not ready to be a published author. But if someone wants to offer me a book deal, I'd go for it! Maybe the problem is I don't have the passion or confidence to write non-fiction articles. I don't know what steps to take to interview someone, as far as giving credit and asking good questions. I also don't feel like I have credibility to write on anything non-fiction and that's what readers want right? Stepping stone number 1: overcoming this anxiety of not knowing enough.

As I completed my 3rd lesson it was more geared toward the craft of writing, which is what I was looking for. I'm excited to begin writing stories with interesting plots and intriguing characters. I mentioned earlier this program has a conference every year for members and non-members to attend. They have famous authors and Christians that speak. This year they had Max Lucado and Phil Vischer (Veggie Tales creator). They also have editors and publishers there from various companies you can set meetings up with. Jon and I talked about going and when I looked up the prices for everything last night it would cost us about $2000!! And that's not including any fun, sight-seeing time. A little more than we would like to spend but I guess we have a whole year to save for it! Stepping stone number 2: attending workshops and conferences. Stepping stone number 3: using my excitement as fuel to continue through the less desirable parts.

I've got a long difficult road ahead of me; a road full of rejection, hard work, writing, and rewriting, but I'm willing to travel it. If for nothing else to be able to share the knowledge I gain with others and grow as an individual.

1 comment:

Katie Sue said...

I totally get the fear of writing non-fiction. I dislike reading non-fiction usually, and in general I also don't feel confident enough on any one topic to write as an expert on something.

I like your stepping stones; they feel like attainable steps that aren't too daunting. I will pray that you are able to overcome the anxiety of not knowing enough (that one seems the most intangible and difficult to set a course on to "overcome"). But I know with prayer and determination each of these steps is attainable. I can't wait to read your first published work, whether it be for The Onion or Vogue ;-)