15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. 16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
Ephesians 4:15-16
How do you speak the truth in love? I've never heard how. I've rarely seen examples of it (except in Jesus but he was a respected authority in regards to how God wants us to live our lives. Am I a respected authority in that? At which point will I become that?) I suppose it's encouraging to see people were extremely defensive when they were approached by Jesus as well. I've seen people respectfully share their opinions, although it's hard to say it's truth. I always shy away from speaking the truth, or my perception of it, for several reasons. One reason being we, as humans, immediately react in a defensive manner. I've done it and I've seen countless others do it. I also begin to question my motives. Maybe that's the "in love" part. Am I doing it to help a brother or sister grow closer to God? Am I doing it because I'm annoyed or frustrated? Am I doing it to expose an other's wrong doings or sin (and aren't we, as Christians, to expose each others' sins?)
All I ever hear is to offer grace of which I'm also working on. I do feel a responsibility to help others grow closer to God and speak the truth in love I'm just at a loss of how to do it.
Have you done it? Seen it done? Had it done to you?
Edited 7/18/13
Now I'm wondering if my interpretation of 'truth' is not exposing areas in need of growth, but of the Gospel. We should be speaking about the Gospel in a loving manner. Maybe???
1 comment:
Man, I read this post a few weeks ago and have been pondering it ever since.
I've had a couple times where I've felt the "call" to speak truth in someone's life about particular instances, not necessarily ongoing habits. Both times, the person was defensive and accusatory. I walked away with no regrets about doing it, but I also walked away from a friendship. So, I don't know.
After looking at those verses, as well as Eph 4:25 (which is quoting Zech 8:16) I think "truth" is more than just the Gospel. To outsiders, yes, we are to speak the Gospel. But to fellow believers, we often do need to hear the truth - in love - about our poor choices.
I just keep thinking about the body of Christ. The first verses in chapter 4 were talking about that, about our roles. I think if we, as the body, don't address things, then it allows infection to spread through the body - our smaller communities as well as the church as a whole. Truly.
So, I don't know how to do it in "love" but I think that we're asked to do it, especially if we have a relationship with that person. I think that's where the love part comes in.
Sigh, I don't know Cara. I'm with you though. It looks really great on paper, but actually doing it as intended is hard!
Post a Comment