Writing. I took a writing course about a year ago in order to work on getting some writing published and while it was a great course with lots of great information I was unable to have anything published. I didn't submit too many articles (they suggest articles before books in the course) so really I can say I was rejected maybe 4 times which is nothing apparently in the world of publishing. However, it's a dream I still have if for nothing else to say I did it. I haven't handled rejection well in the past and I feel like this is a good avenue to work on not taking so much personal in life. I hope to get at least one article published in the next year and at some point take the next writing course which will focus more on fiction writing.
Kids. My kids have been sick every other week this year I think. I know they must be tired of it and I'm tired of it. They're both doing well overall. Emma is almost 15 months and while she's so close to walking she still won't attempt it on her own unless it's between Jon and I. I'm anxious to talk with her Dr. at her next appointment to see what he says. I also think her weight will be a problem because she's not even up to 17lbs yet so she's pretty tiny. Without giving her a feeding tube I don't know how to make her eat more. She can be pretty picky and easily distracted thus cutting her meals short. Her vocabulary seems to be taking off though. Obviously the context of the situation helps us understand what she's saying so most outsiders probably think she's just jabbering away but she's picking up on stuff. Hadley just finished up swim lessons and I think it was a growing experience for her. It took her the first 5 lessons to warm up to her teacher and then we had a few makeups we had to do with a different teacher and the next session meant a new teacher too so she had to learn to adjust to different teachers very quickly. While it wasn't without tears she did a good job and we hope she learned a good lesson about praying because we did that with her a lot before each swim lesson. She was a star when it came to floating on her back and got really good about putting her face under water. Anyway, we're done until next summer. I'll be curious to see how she does next year.
Homeschool. I think most people who will be reading this know we have been considering homeschooling for the past 1.5 or 2 years. We've decided after lots of research, prayer and soul searching (mainly from me since I'll be doing most of the teaching) to move forward with it. I'll probably do a post at some point in the future about why we decided to do this but for now we're working on setting a routine and figuring things out. We're not doing any formal curriculum at this point but we're working on the days of the week and going through a devotional on the fruits of the spirit. I started out with this great calendar time notebook that included site words, word families and such but it quickly became too monotonous for Hadley. I think it was a combination of my poor simple planning so we're working slowly to readjust it. I had some goals set in my mind that Jon and I had talked about for the year and I think it's important for her to learn the days of the week and the months of the year for now. Next year when she's 5 we'll look into starting more formal curriculum. I'm excited, scared, self-conscious....you name it I've run the gamut of emotions but we're trusting God to lead us on this adventure. We will be learning just as much as the girls I think not only in academic content but in character development too.
God. I have had a severe thirst for God's word lately. I went to the Global Leadership Summit at our church and that doused the fire with fuel. I'm still working on a reading plan on my kindle that goes through the Bible chronologically and I've really enjoyed it. I'm finally in the New Testament and working to pay more attention to what Christ has to say about things. I'm still mulling over my previous post about truth and I haven't reached a conclusion. I'm sure it'll come as long as I keep seeking God's perspective. There were two main ideas I took from the Leadership Summit this year that I'll be focusing on in my daily walk and those are the influence I have on the people around me (that is to say influencing people to grow closer to God) and being courageous in following God (Joshua 1:9). "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” All this encouragement and thirst for God has brought Satan out in the open. This has been a rough week for one reason or another and at times I get an out-of-body glimpse and wonder why this is such a taxing week. It doesn't seem that much different than other weeks. Satan. He's caught onto my thirst for God's wisdom and a desire to do what eventually becomes counter-cultural in life and he's been working to destroy it. All it would take for me is a negative attitude and I refuse to give in.
That's it for now...brain dump over.
No comments:
Post a Comment