Repurposing is very popular now with furniture and antiques. Taking something old with a specific purpose and refinishing and even remodeling it for a whole new purpose. This is what I plan to do this new year with my habits. I'm not going to drop bad habits (as noble as that is) and I'm not going to create better ones, I'm going to take the good habits I have and do them with a better purpose.
I don't really make New Year's resolutions. It seems weird to me to wake up one day, which happens to be like most, just a different date, and vow to live better or do things differently. Why didn't I do that every day of last year? Each new day is a day where I should be saying, "Today I will live better. Today I will do things differently." I guess I don't place that much importance on New Year's resolutions because I know I might have days or weeks where I fail miserably and I don't want that to make the entire year a failure. I try to take one day at a time and if the next day is a little better than the previous I've succeeded.
Anywho, that said I do take some time to reflect and think about how I can be a better person and glorify God more. This year I want my habits to be repurposed. It's easy to say I'm going to eat better but my purpose is to lose weight. Perhaps if I repurposed my eating habits to be more healthy for my children I'd be more likely to work through the change. I'm going to repurpose my habit of relaxing (a.k.a. being lazy) not in order to accomplish more but to be a better steward of the time God has given me. I'm going to repurpose my prayer habits not because God invited me to pray but because I want to know Him more intimately.
I have a few other things in mind but it's a catchphrase I want to hold onto this year.
Did you make some resolutions? Do you keep them?
1 comment:
I used to make resolutions, but now I don't. I feel that way too, that everyday can be like new years and whatever changes I should make I could and should make everyday.
That said, I'd like to find my contentment in God not in things and also not base my success on the involvement of others but on my own feelings.
Post a Comment