I've been reading through the Bible in a chronological order which I have truly enjoyed. It has unraveled more as a story of God rather than a confusing jumble of events for me. Once I finish I think I'm going to start it again because I know each time I will learn more and more. Yes, I have grown up in the church and my faith became my own in high school but 15 years later I am still learning more about my God. It's a testimony to the depth of God's personality.
Right now I'm working my way through 2 Chronicles, 2 Kings and the prophets as they all go hand in hand chronologically. I'm constantly amazed at the apparent stupidity of Israel and the chosen people God made them to be. They would hear directly, audibly from God and his prophets yet they continually, constantly, and without hesitancy turned their backs. Today people think if they actually heard God's voice they'd believe. I'm not so sure about that. But I digress.
The point of this particular blog is to focus on God's judgement seen in the Old Testament. Time and again when Israel turned away from God he would send prophets to tell them they were going to be wiped out, a plague would come to ravage their towns, their soldiers would be handed over to the enemy, you name it God would send his wrath to remind them he is their God.
So my question. Does God still do this to us today? I know with Jesus came a new covenant and grace but I can't imagine consequences and judgement are no longer a part of God's character. Do we have natural disasters, diseases, death as a result of God's wrath? Sure some of that is a natural consequence of sin. I have a feeling I've heard the answer to this at some point, which is no, God does not still send his wrath and judgement on us with Jesus' sacrifice. Thus the whole point of Judgement day.
Thoughts?
No comments:
Post a Comment