Monday, November 19, 2012

Taking Your Thoughts Captive

Something someone said on Facebook recently brought this verse to mind. Sadly, there has been a lot of negativity floating around Facebook what with the election and all. It gets so wearing to be around and even more so to constantly read about. Unfortunately, a lot of it is from Christians.

I understand negativity. We can't be happy all the time and to be honest I've often thought I was a glass half empty kind of person myself. I've lately been striving to look at things in a more positive perspective and working even harder to remind myself daily that God is faithful. 

That's not to say it won't take a lot of work on my part. In 2 Corinthians 10:5 it says, "we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." That's powerful and difficult. It's very easy to allow our emotions to control us, our thoughts, our actions and our outlook on life, but emotions are unreliable. So we are told to take them captive, we need to control them, and make them obedient to Christ and his reign.

I've learned quickly when I give in to my emotions and thoughts, more often then not I wind up focused only on myself and what I do not have. Becoming very discontent leads to anger, sadness, self-righteousness, bitterness....it's just unhealthy. It's more clear and urgent to me now because I have a husband and kids who are also affected by it. 

I hope during the holiday season you and I can learn to control our negative thoughts and feelings and align them with Christ's, where they are full of joy (not happiness but at peace knowing Christ is in control). But even more I hope we can make this a daily occurrence throughout the year. Our actions and words reflect our heart attitude. What's yours like today?

No comments: