I've finished piecing all of the rows together on Hadley's quilt. It really doesn't take that long to do. I probably did one row in about 15 minutes, as long as there weren't any problems. My mom and I had cut most of the green strips ahead of time so that helps to keep things going once you start piecing it.
 |
These are the first 4 rows laid out
|
 |
This picture includes rows 5 & 6 (sorry for the sun glare)
|
I pressed all the seams towards the green fabric so it wouldn't show behind the lighter fabrics and got to work on sewing the rows together. Because the fabric was not long enough to use just one strip in between rows I had to sew two together. I used a bias seam (diagonal seam) as it shows less then a straight seam. It took me 3 times to get it right because I wasn't paying attention to the details of it but it is really really simple.
 |
| Place one strip face up. Place the second strip at a 90 degree angle face down with edges matching as much as possible. Draw a diagonal line towards the outside edge. Using pins will help keep it in place. |
 |
| Sew on the diagonal line and cut off excess fabric leaving 1/4" seam. Flip the upside down fabric over and press the seam. |
 |
Here it is finished. It's very hard to see the seam.
|
I then started piecing the rows together. There was excess fabric that I haven't cut off yet, in case I need to do a little fixing. The vertical green strips aren't always lining up perfectly but as I go, they seem to be falling in to place. I am soooo excited for the finished product.
 |
| Here is where I stopped. 3 rows done. 3 rows to go. Then I start the outside frame which will be green, then white and a little pink. |
No comments:
Post a Comment