Friday, January 14, 2011

Judgement

This is a difficult subject for me to wrap my head around. I feel like I do it a lot, unfortunately. At the same time I'm not sure of the true definition. I can look at someone and observe their behavior and draw a conclusion about the kind of person they are. Is this judgement? I'd think so. Maybe it's not fair to draw a conclusion about some one's personality based on a brief observation. On the other hand I'd say it's merely an observation.

Perhaps it's what I do with that observation.

Sometimes judgement gets muddled with annoyance, criticism, irritation, and conflicting personalities. All of which are sinful or can cause me to act in a sinful manner.

Lots of scripture comes to mind when I think of Judgement. Two in particular stick out to me.

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked person from among you." 1 Corinthians 5:12-13

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Luke 6:36-38

So are we supposed to judge other Christians? Or not? What does it mean to judge others? What actions are involved? Certainly it should be done with love. I have no question about that. I'm not necessarily wanting to judge others, but I know, or rather think, I am doing it. Is it okay? If someone does something that bothers me am I reacting sinfully or is there something the person may be doing wrong? The previous question sounds arrogant. That's not my intention. It's an honest question. I am not claiming to always be right. I know I have many areas in need of improvement and I wish to surround myself with people who will tell me in a loving manner so I can become a better person. I don't always accept it gracefully, at first, but most friends can rest assured I take the comment to heart and prayerfully think it through.

I also don't feel like I act on a lot of my judgmental feelings or thoughts but to me if the act of being judgmental is sin, then the thoughts and feelings are equally sinful.

I plan to ponder this the next week through prayer and scripture.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Katie Sue said...

Sadly I have nothing but empathy to these questions and ponderings. I feel incredibly judgmental a great deal of the time and I'm not sure how to stop it or if it's wrong or what to do to make the thoughts constructive. It does frighten me that I will be judged on the same level I judge others because at times I can be harsh. But I do wonder, if there is a right and wrong, how do we observe the wrong without it being deemed judgment?

One of the conclusions I've thought about in the past year, and I'm not really sure if it's true, but I feel that if I have a problem with something someone is doing and I choose to speak to that person in love rather than sit on the thought, then I am not judging. I somehow feeling that the taking action takes away the judgment. Not sure how accurate that is, but it is one thing I hold on to.

I'm looking forward to your follow up after your meditation on the word and I'd love to have a conversation with you about it sometime. But overall I think the most important thing to remember is that we're forgiven, even of our judgments, for God is gracious. So try not to be too hard on yourself.