Monday, December 20, 2010

The Bizzaro World of Highway Driving

Nothing puts you in a merry mood like driving on I-10. Those who drive it on a regular basis or have driven it know what I mean. My usual experience with I-10 consists of the stretch between Tucson and Benson. However, today's particular experience remains the same for the drive between Tucson and Phoenix also. People complain it's mostly Tucson drivers, and while I take that a bit personal, I can say I've had a bad experience with people from out of state as well. I digress. Here's a little background information. According to Wikipedia (which we all know is a reliable source) I-10 is the 4th largest interstate and runs from California to Jacksonville, Florida. In most of the stretches of road I drive there are two lanes in each direction, leaving the right lane for slower drivers and the left lane for passing. Pretty simple.

There has to be a portal or some sort of vortex on the on-ramps which completely erase any education or training drivers have had on highway driving. If I remember correctly a driver is supposed to pass on the left side. This would leave me to conclude that the said driver does not stay in the left lane but respectfully puts on their blinker and gets in to the right lane after passing a slower car. Apparently, some people missed this day in drivers ed. They stay in the left lane even after they've passed a slower car. In fact, it seems they are apt to stay in the left lane if the road ahead of them is clear for the next mile. STOP DRIVING IN THE LEFT LANE. Please, get over in to the right lane. Inevitably, there is someone trying to pass a slower car (namely you, left-lane driver) but they can't. No, it's not a law (unless you are a danger to the rest of traffic), but yes it is a common courtesy. It's a simple task, constantly check your review mirrors and your speed. Even if you are going the speed limit, it may behoove you to get out of the way of faster drivers.

Additionally, if you are the faster car stuck behind a left-lane driver DON'T PASS ON THE RIGHT. I completely understand your frustration but we have to stick together on this. The moment one of us breaks from the group and passes on the right you have started the avalanche of right-lane passers. Let's say there are 4 cars, A, B, C, and D. A is the left-lane driver and B, C, and D are getting antsy, swerving slightly to the left and right to see what the hold up is. Since car B is directly behind A he notices there are no cars anywhere in sight so he thinks, "Maybe I should just pass on the right, no one's around and clearly this person isn't going to get over." He makes his move and passes on the right. Car A notices B passing and has, inconsiderately, been a left-lane driver. Car A decides to move to the right lane but as he checks his review mirror he notices Car C and D have now followed suit and started passing on the right, thus leaving all cars in the left lane to slow down because Car A cannot get over...we now have a moving traffic jam. This really only effects drivers on two-lane highways, but can really slow traffic down.

Cruise control. It's a new-fangled function on a car. You turn it on, set your car at a comfortable speed, press the 'set' button and take your foot off of the gas pedal. This not only saves you gas but helps you maintain speed. The great thing about cruise control is you don't have to use it but it would be great if you could pay attention to your speedometer as you drive and MAINTAIN YOUR SPEED. Nothing is more frustrating than The Highway Dance. If I pass you once, while using cruise control, I shouldn't pass you 5 more times. Maybe you drank a little too much Four Loco before hopping in your car, with your constant slowing and speeding up. I pass you then you pass me and then I pass you again....the dance continues. It's absurd.

There really is a method to the madness which is highway laws and driving courtesies. If each driver followed these courtesies the interstate roadways would be functioning like a well-oiled machine. Safety first, courtesy second.

What are your highway-driving pet peeves?

1 comment:

Katie Sue said...

You've hit it spot on Cara! Although my favorite part of the left-lane slow drivers is their failure to use their rear view mirror to notice that I am flashing my brights at them. I've been told that by flashing my brights I am indicating that I would like the driver in front of me to move to the right. However, they either ignore this request or do not even know what it means or worst of all haven't been cogent enough to even notice it at all!

But probably my biggest highway pet peeve occurs when there will be merging as a result of construction. There have been signs for miles and miles indicating that the right lane will end. The competent person moves over from the right lane as a result, preparing ahead of time for this change. However the rude or completely clueless must wait until the last minute to merge over thus creating a slow down or traffic jam. Is it really that important to be 10 cars ahead of where you were previously? Will you really save any time if as a result of your stupid actions traffic has to a halt temporarily? I find this one SO aggravating!

Thanks for the forum to share traffic woes!