Monday, February 20, 2012

Profile of the Lukewarm

"It is not scientific doubt, not atheism, not pantheism, not agnosticism, that in our day and in this land is likely to quench the light of the gospel. It is a proud, sensuous, selfish, luxurious, church-going, hollow-hearted prosperity." - Frederic D. Huntington, Forum Magazine, 1890 (Taken from Crazy Love by Francis Chan)


Seeing this quote was taken from a man in 1890 it shows the consistency of lukewarm disciples of Christ. It seems more appropriate to say lukewarm Christians as the term disciples infers so much more commitment. 


In my reading through Crazy Love by Francis Chan he has a challenging chapter of which I stole the title for this post. My recent posts were about being of the world and being relevant as discussions emerged through our life group's reading of Radical by David Platt. I was searching for specifics of what that meant. While this chapter is about us being lukewarm and not so much about being of the world I think it fits perfectly. It's clear God would rather us be on one end of the spectrum or the other in our faith than to be lukewarm.


"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see." Rev 3: 15-18 (NIV84)


God DETESTS lukewarm living. He'd rather me not believe in him at all than to live half-heartedly. Ok, well I think ultimately he would rather I follow him but the degree to which I do it should be full on, ready for anything, completely dependent and trusting in him. 


Here is Chan's outline of a lukewarm life:


1. Lukewarm people attend church fairly regularly.


2. Lukewarm people give money to charity and to the church...as long as it doesn't impinge on their standard of living. 


3. Lukewarm people tend to choose what is popular over what is right when they are in conflict.


4. Lukewarm people don't really want to be saved from their sin: they want only to be saved from the penalty of their sin.


5. Lukewarm people are moved by stories about people who do radical things for Christ, yet they do not act.


6. Lukewarm people rarely share their faith with their neighbors, coworkers, or friends.


7. Lukewarm people gauge their morality or "goodness" by comparing themselves to the secular world.


8. Lukewarm people say they love Jesus, and He is, indeed, a part of their lives. But only part.


9. Lukewarm people love God, but they do not love HIm with all their heart, soul, and strength.


10. Lukewarm people love others but do not seek to love others as much as they love themselves.


11. Lukewarm people will serve God and others, but there are limits to how far they will go or how much time, money, and energy they are willing to give.


12. Lukewarm people think about life on earth much more often than eternity in heaven.


13. Lukewarm people are thankful for their luxuries and comforts, and rarely consider trying to give as much as possible to the poor. 


14. Lukewarm people do whatever is necessary to keep themselves from feeling too guilty.


15. Lukewarm people are continually concerned with playing it safe; they are slaves to the god of control.


16. Lukewarm people feel secure because they attend church, made a profession of faith at age twelve, were baptized, come from a Christian family, vote Republican, or live in America.


17. Lukewarm people do not live by faith; their lives are structured so they do not have to.


18. Lukewarm people probably drink and swear less than average, but besides that, they really aren't very different from your typical unbeliever.




WOW!!!! If you're like me I finished reading through this (he backed up every single item with at least two references to scripture by the way) and felt the weight of the world on my shoulders. Some of these are more prevalent in my life than others so does that make me a lukewarm Christian? Chan addresses this in the end of the chapter but he also challenges his readers to consider our current state and how we will no longer be lukewarm.


Which of the 18 items hits you the hardest about yourself? May you take a moment and have a real conversation with God about being transformed from Lukewarm to Radical.


"Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves." 2 Corinthians 13:5

No comments: