The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. ~ Dr. Seuss ~
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Being Relevant While Being Radical
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
I was hoping someone would read my previous blog and come up with some brilliant, clearly defined answer to my question of being relevant and radical. But alas, I will look to the scriptures. (That's a joke.)
After searching through some of the scriptures (it's possible I missed some) I came to the unofficial conclusion to be radical means to not partake in the sinful nature of this world. That seems pretty cut and dry to me. Sure we'll mess up and make mistakes but it's the difference between us trying and the world not caring. Titus 2 was a great chapter on righteous living.
It [the grace of God] teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age. Titus 2:12
Just living a self-controlled life (according to our desires and sinful nature) and not giving in to what we think we need is living radically by our societies standards. Living self-controlled lives in regards to our marriages so that we can uphold the commitment is radical. As basic as these ideas are they are a part of radical living in our society and I guarantee people will notice. Sadly, it shouldn't take much to stand apart from the world. Using our possessions, or rather maintaining an attitude of not our's but God's possessions, to serve others. Isn't that radical?
Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 1 Peter 2:11
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.1 John 2:15
What else? What other specific ways can we abstain from the sinful nature and stand apart from the world in order to bring God to the forefront?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment