Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Trusting in Mere Humans

I read though Isaiah 2 this morning and at the end of the chapter I read this: 


"Stop trusting in mere humans, 
   who have but a breath in their nostrils.
   Why hold them in esteem?"

It's harsh but I like it. It's a good reminder we need to stop looking to humans to fulfill ALL of our needs. Please take note of the word 'all' because certainly there are times when humans can and do fulfill some of our needs. 

I am constantly reminded humans will disappoint, I will disappoint. I know I have and will continue to disappoint those close to me, those I come in contact with, I will disappoint myself, and dare I say, God. Sure, God already knows everything I'm about to do and knows who I am...blah blah blah. This doesn't mean He's not disappointed in my choices. This seems to be the very reason He asked Jesus to be the sacrifice. 

I see people church hopping because they put too much stock in sinful leaders to change their own walk with God. Men and women of all ages jump from one relationship to the other because they thought another human could perfectly fill each and every void in their life. Others use all their time and resources to promote a presidential candidate only to be severely disappointed the elected did not fulfill their promises. 

Idolizing people is dangerous, although easy. While God speaks through broken humans, He comforts others through selfish men and women, God challenges us to be better people by using those who aren't really better themselves we cannot forget everyone will let us down eventually and God will not. 

Only God can fulfill EACH AND EVERY ONE of His promises. Only God can speak a message so earth-shattering your life can change forever. Only God can be perfectly faithful in every way to the ones He loves. 

Psalm 36:5
Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.


No comments: