Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pick your Poison



I was asked the other night what my favorite book is. I knew it was coming because others around me had been asked just moments before but I was rushing to pull out a good title. I've been asked that before and have yet to come up with a satisfying answer to it. In a stupid way this bothers me.

Most who know me know I love to read. I have loved it for as long as I can remember, despite my brief hiatus in college. I'd lay for hours in my room as a child, lost in the details and descriptions of a fictitious story. Although, I think I have only re-read about 2 books in my whole life. I don't like to re-read, perhaps because to read over the same story I might find different details or might be caught in a different time of life that will negatively affect my opinion of the story. It's better to not disturb those positive thoughts.

What bothers me most about this question as of late is my journey in writing. I decided I would just take a step of faith and enroll in the Christian Writer's Guild program and work to become a published author of some sort. Why? Because I like to read stories and enjoy the thought of telling a story for someone else to enjoy. I'm not great at verbal communication so writing works out well for me, it's slow and I have time to think through my thoughts and find the right words.

As a novice author I feel the need to nail down my favorite book. I can't bring myself to commit though. The truth is I like A LOT of books. All for different reasons. To compare one book to another is definitely comparing apples to orangutans. It'd be easier for me to narrow it down to specific genres and I can pick specific books within genres but to say one title holds my vote over all others is impossible for me.

Historical fiction is definitely my favorite genre of writing. I will read many other types of books but I always find myself subconsciously drawn to historical fiction stories.

So back to the question, "What is my favorite book?" because I couldn't come up with an answer I was then asked to narrow it down to 3, this I could do. So in no particular order I said, The Help, Where the Red Fern Grows, and........I couldn't do it. I just couldn't choose. There are way too many books I like.

What is your favorite book? Can you choose or do you have anxiety about committing to just one like me?

No comments: