Monday, June 6, 2011

Luck, hard work, or naivety?

I'm not sure if we're just lucky to have a good kid, if our hard work is paying off or if we're just naive of what's to come if we have another. I feel like the hardest time we've ever had with Hadley was in the first 3 months when we were figuring out breast-feeding and sleeping issues. I don't say this to brag, because I have nothing to compare the experience to so I can't really say if it's our hard work. It'd be easier to identify the reason if we had another kid. I feel extremely grateful for how easy of a kid she's been thus far. I know it's only been two years but she seems to have a pretty good personality so I pray that continues on into adulthood.

I keep telling people I'm nervous about the next kid. It seems like fate would give us a tougher or should I say a higher maintenance, child should we have another. I could be completely wrong. Some people have said it's just because Jon and I are laid back, but they have to know we're not always laid back or that we're just good at acting like it.

These were just a few thoughts skipping around as I read through people's status' on Facebook or as I hear stories of frazzled parents. Sure we have our tough days where all Hadley wants to do is throw tantrums and frankly I'd do it right along with her if I didn't have to be the responsible one. Maybe it's all a matter of perspective. I tend to start laughing when Hadley is throwing a tantrum because I know how ridiculous, or funny, the whole situation must look to an onlooker. Maybe the first kid seems easier because most parents are in a state of bliss, sleepless though they are. Perhaps the second kid is harder because they already have an older kid to handle while raising a new little one. I don't know really. I've known siblings who were similar in personalities and I've known siblings who couldn't be more opposite. I guess, God-willing, when we have another kid we'll find out. Until then, I'll be eternally grateful for the sweet girl God has blessed us with.

No comments: