Monday, September 14, 2009

Perceptions

I was at the grocery store today, in the produce department and an older man (probably in his 50's) walked past and noticed Hadley in the car seat. Ok, freeze the story right there, this man was probably about 5' 8", bald and I mean a shiny bald head, had tattoos up both arms, a long salt and pepper mustache thing. Continuing with the story....he smiled real big and said, "Aww what a cute little girl. My wife and I just got back from visiting our two granddaughters up in Montana, one is 7 months and one is 8 months." I made small talk with him about making the trip that far to see grandkids and it was a very pleasant conversation.

I imagine that at first some people reading this would think he would have been rude, or said something weird. His appearance certainly could have been a barrier/deception, but he was quite friendly and my "motherly instincts" were not alerted. It felt like talking to one of my parents' friends.

I always wonder how our culture got so unfriendly to strangers? There is a lot of crime and a lot of weirdos out there, I don't deny that at all. However, I think it might be safe to say that people in general are not out to hurt us, so why do we ignore another person when passing them on the sidewalk or in the grocery store? Is it all a matter of our perceptions of people? The stereo-types that someone dressed a certain way can't be friendly? Or might be a weirdo, boring, cranky, etc?

After working with people in a South Tucson neighborhood, I've had some of my own stereo-types dissolved. My perceptions are certainly flawed but I often wonder what kind of conversations I could have with people if I put those aside (unless my gut says the person is a threat) and talked? Some people who seem like ordinary people always seem to have extraordinary stories.



No comments: