Monday, August 10, 2009

Month 3



A few days premature but oh well. This month has been so much fun! Hadley has really gotten a lot better at sleeping and is now on a great routine. She's super happy when she's awake and falls asleep easily (usually within 2-5 minutes with a little crying). We stuck with the "cry it out" method and I highly recommend it!! It's hard at first but I'd say after about 3 or 4 days the crying decreased significantly. It was a lot of work and pretty stressful for Jon and I to be walking around trying to calm her down and get her to fall asleep and we figured if she's crying anyways why should we stress ourselves out by trying to calm her down when she can do it on her own and do it faster. The first few days we'd set her down she'd cry for about 30-45 minutes and we'd just keep ourselves busy in another part of the house (with the monitor on but low volume) and she'd fall right to sleep. It not only has given me more confidence in helping her but I also feel like she's developed a shred of independence at her young age and that makes a mother proud! I think she's become an excellent sleeper (and she loves it) and it will help her in the years to come!

Some other fun developments this month: She loves playing with her tongue, smiles a ton (still waiting for a laugh), getting her fists to her mouth, waking up twice during the night at the most, and just yesterday she sat up like a big girl in her Bebe seat (with a little slouching). This has been a wonderful month so far and I am beyond excited to watch her grow! I look forward to feeding her rice cereal and making it myself, I look forward to her sitting up and rolling over! Oh so many fun things about having a baby! I know it's bitter-sweet but I really look forward to her being an independent little girl!

On a personal note, I've kept up my reading, I've been trying to read a book a month and last month I read two!! I've been into learning more about Afghanistan and Pakistan and have found a few good books that I would highly recommend. However, I really feel my ability to hold a coherent conversation has decreased greatly and my mental math abilities have also decreased (very specific I know). So I think it's about time to get started on that writer's guild curriculum so I can keep my brain sharp. We'll see! Jon and I are also talking about doing a bible study together so hopefully we can be disciplined in that!

3 comments:

Danielle Francisco said...

Great job with the sleep training. I know it can be hard. And don't let people look at you bad because you "let your baby cry".

I can recommend a few books on Afghanistan and Pakistan if you're interested. I just have to remember the titles. (I'm horrible with remembering titles) Any good ones you've read lately that you can recommend?

cara said...

Thanks Danielle! The only non-fiction book is called three cups of tea, the others are fiction, like the Kite runner, but I know there are some things in there that really do happen.

Katie Sue said...

I'm so glad you've found so much joy with Hadley! That's so wonderful!

I haven't read Three Cups of Tea but it's on my list. I really loved Reading Lolita in Tehran. It might be a good next read. We'll have to talk about Kite Runner when I see you next. I'd love to hear your thoughts, even if they are incoherent. :-)