Tuesday we were up bright and early, just because we're early risers. Our first stop on the list was Central park so we decided to head in that direction and look for a place to eat breakfast. We couldn't find one right away so we walked through Central Park for a bit, saw Bow Bridge, which is apparently the most romantic bridge around, then headed back in to the city for breakfast. After walking around the area for a good 20 minutes without much luck we just decided to head to our next stop which was Battery Park. We'd look for food over there.
 |
| A view from Central Park |
As soon as we emerged from the subway we saw a cafe on the corner called George's. We ate breakfast there which was just your typical egg, toast, hashbrown, and bacon kind of place. It was good enough since we were starving by this point. We walked over to Battery Park and found a good viewing spot for the Statue of Liberty. I was really bummed we couldn't go see it (we didn't have the time and I think it's closed for a while) but at least I saw it in the distance. It's quite large.
 |
| Statue of Liberty from Battery Park |
After Battery Park we went to Wall St. When we got there we were a little confused because there were so many streets fenced off and it wasn't obvious where any of the famous landmarks were. We walked around for a bit and finally found the New York Stock Exchange building which was pretty. We also found the Trump Building (we have some funny pictures to show once we do a little photoshop) and a building with a George Washington Statue outside. There were a lot of people walking around in their business suits with places to go, stocks to buy and sell. Here the buildings were really close together it was crazy. We also saw the start of the Wall St. Protest. The funny thing was all those sleeping in the park nearby had bright blue tarps, all looked brand new and Jon and I joked they probably picked them up at Wal-Mart or some other large corporate store.
 |
| New York Stock Exchange |
We had planned to eat lunch at a hot dog stand on the sidewalk but it was a little early for lunch and we were so tired of walking we wanted to find a place to sit down. We decided we'd wait for lunch and head over to the 9/11 memorial early. You have to reserve your tickets ahead of time or if you're lucky buy some just prior to entering. We had a 45 minute wait before we could get in the memorial so we found a place to sit and waited it out.
The 9/11 memorial was perhaps my favorite place we visited. After waiting in line we were directed through security (which was exactly like airport security but without complaining...it was kind of weird.) There was a lot of construction still going on where the towers were so after walking through a line of fences we walked into the open area of the memorial. It was very simple. We walked first over to the South Pool. These pools were so enormous and breathtaking. The noise of the water falling seemed to drown out most other noises. There were flowers and flags placed at specific names. There were a few tears as I thought of all the people who rushed in to the danger, all the family members who left behind small children and spouses, and ultimately the names followed by, "and her unborn child." A couple asked Jon to take their picture in front of one of the pools and we talked later about how it was a little weird to be smiling in a picture in a place where such death and destruction had taken place. There was a small museum in a gift shop as you exited the memorial. The real museum has not yet been finished.
 |
| The South Pool |
 |
| The North Pool |
 |
| Freedom Tower |
From the memorial we headed to China Town and Little Italy for lunch before the leaving the Big Apple. As soon as we got off the subway there was Chinese writing on every single building. It really felt like we were in a different country. Then we simply turned left on to one street and all of a sudden it was Little Italy. We looked up a restaurant on Urban Spoon and had a delicious plate of Chicken Parm. We then hit up a quaint Italian Bakery on our way out and had some DELICIOUS dessert. Jon got a slice of Tiramisu and I got a chocolate mousse dessert. Yum! I could have stayed there and had a few more desserts.
 |
| Little Italy |
 |
| China Town |
We headed back to Penn Station, or so we thought. We caught the wrong subway and went in the opposite direction but we had plenty of time to find the right one and head back. We got to Penn Station in time to catch an early train so we paid a little extra and headed back to Albany early.
We got back to the house at about 8:30. Ate some pizza and went to bed. We left for home the next morning.
Jon and I enjoyed our time in New York. It was kind of like a novelty seeing all the famous places. There are so many in one spot. Everything is so expensive though and there are so many people I really couldn't imagine living there of my own free will. We also talked about not really wanting to go back. For what? I told Jon the only reason I'd like to go back is to actually visit the Statue of Liberty, see the wall of names at Ellis Island because I have family members listed there, and perhaps go to a Broadway show. I'm glad we got to visit.
1 comment:
That seems like such an amazing trip. I didn't originally think I would like to visit the 9/11 memorial, but after reading your perspective, I'd reconsider. It just seems strange to visit a memorial of an event that occurred in our lifetime.
So glad you and Jon got some time to spend together. I'm sure that was so great!
Post a Comment