Saturday, February 26, 2011

More of what I've learned

Here are a few more things I didn't have a chance to add to my previous blog.

1. LISTEN. Be willing to listen to advice. You don't have to follow it but have a willingness to listen because you never know what you might hear. I struggled with this because I knew what I wanted to happen in being a parent and I felt like I had enough common sense to get by. I wish now I had listened more. I don't necessarily have any regrets about decisions we've made in regards to Hadley but I think having an open mind to other's advice and experiences makes you a better parent.

2. LAUGH. It's pretty easy for me most of the time, in fact it's how I generally handle stressful situations, whether that's good or bad is besides the point. Hadley had a melt down the other day getting into the car from the grocery cart and all I could was laugh. I practically had to hold her down so I could buckle her in the carseat. I then sat in the driver's seat and waited for her to calm down so I could finish buckling her in. People probably walked by wondering why I was laughing to myself in my car. When she threw full out tantrums on the plane I wanted to just laugh so hard. I don't always do it, but that's usually if I'm already having a bad day or I'm super tired.

No comments: