Monday, January 25, 2010

Off on another adventure


Sometimes I think I might be crazy signing up for a two year writing program. Like having an infant, soon to be toddler, along with our various other commitments isn't enough and then I go and PAY to write??? I've mentioned before that I'd like to write children's books, maybe even some adult books. So when I noticed a website on a friends blog I was intrigued.

Christian Writer's Guild is run by Jerry Jenkins, the author of the famous fiction end-times books, the Left Behind series. They have courses for amateur writers, even for teenagers, that can help you develop your writing skills. They assign a mentor to you who is usually a published author themselves or has experience in the editing/publishing world. They give you feedback on all your assignments. You can also pay a discounted rate to have a professional editor look over your manuscripts. Once a year they have a writer's conference in Colorado that invites famous authors to come speak, like Max Lucado or Philip Yancy, and then they offer various workshops. They also have publishing companies attend and you can setup meetings with them, so they can review your manuscript and if nothing else, give you feedback about it or at the most, offer you a contract. The conference is a little pricey but I'm super excited that we MAY try to go next year and make a little family vacation out of it.

I know most of you think this sounds absolutely boring....who likes to write for fun? I am really excited to be able to put stories down on paper and share them with people. I hope that God will bless this journey. I'm also extremely intimidated, feeling like when I hand a manuscript to a publisher, they'll laugh me out of the room. I'm willing to try though. If nothing else I feel like this could help me should I decide to go back into an educational setting, I could do something with writing. I would hope to make it more fun for children.

Anyhow, that's my new journey I'm on. I have an assignment due every two weeks for the next two years!!! Better get started. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I think it is great!My mom writes screenplays and novels and LOVES it!!! Good luck on your new adventure!

Sarah said...

Will you promise to remember us little people after you are published and famous? That you have such vision is awesome!

Ami said...

Can I do it too?? That is secretly what I want to do too when I grow up!

Jaymee said...

OMGosh! I LOVE to write. I have started I don't know how many stories. Way to go! Follow your dreams. It will only be as hard as you make it: )

Katie Sue said...

I admire you for taking steps toward your dream! I hope to see your name on the spine of a book on a bookshelf someday in the future!